Pimples or acne have become the most common skin condition affecting a large population around the world. The incidence of this disease is high in the adolescents due to the hormonal changes occurring in the body during the pubertal phase. However, pimples usually occur on the face, but they may also appear on the neck, back, and the shoulders.
Pimples are formed because of inflammation of the sebaceous glands in the skin that produce an oily substance called sebum. The glands often become infected, which leads to swelling, pain, redness, and pus formation. The prime cause of pimples is an excess secretion of sebum by these oil glands. Hence, it is important to take steps to reduce pimples and prevent them from reappearing.
Natural Home Remedies for Pimples
Here are the top 10 home remedies that can help you get rid of pimples in a safe and effective way:
Lemon juice offers a quick way to get rid of pimples. The acidic nature of lemon juice acts as a bleaching agent for the skin and reduces the pigmentation left after a pimple is healed. Lemon juice also helps the eruptions to dry up faster without leaving acne scars.
How to use
- Dip a cotton ball in lemon juice and dab it on the affected part. Wash it off after 5 to 6 hours. It is best to use it just before going to bed.
- Alternatively, you can mix 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Apply this mixture on the affected areas and leave it overnight. You can wash it off the next day morning with lukewarm water.
Local application of lemon juice is not recommended for the people with sensitive skin as it can irritate their skin and worsen the condition.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil offers a natural treatment for treating most skin conditions including pimples, allergies, and eczema. Bacterial infection is the most common cause of pimples. An infection can result in the formation of pus, which leads to the blocking of the ducts of sebaceous glands. Due to this, the oil secreted by the glands cannot come to the skin surface. This leads to a swelling filled with the oily secretions and pus and appears as a pimple.
Tea tree oil can help in preventing this with its strong antibacterial properties. It helps in preventing infections in the sebaceous glands thereby reducing the appearance of acne. It also kills the bacteria and reduces the pus formation.
How to use
- Dip a clean cotton swab in tea tree oil and dab it on the pimple. Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes and then, rinse your face with plain water.
- An alternative way of using tea tree oil for pimples is to mix a few drops of this oil in one tablespoonful of aloe vera gel. Apply this mixture on pimples and leave it for 20 minutes before rinsing it off.
Garlic is one of the most potent herbs with strong medicinal properties that help in the management of several conditions. It possesses antibacterial and antifungal properties, which help to get rid of the organisms responsible for pimples. It also produces an antioxidant action and destroys the toxins that can harm the skin and increase the inflammation such as the harsh chemicals used in cosmetics, and dust. It also protects the skin from the damage caused by the UV radiation in the sunlight thus reducing inflammation. Garlic also contains sulfur, which promotes quick healing of these eruptions.
How to use
- Cut a garlic clove into two pieces and rub it on the eruptions. Press the piece of garlic gently on the skin to allow for the extraction of the juice.
- Leave it for about five minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water.
- You can repeat this treatment several times a day.
Additionally, you can also eat one raw garlic clove every day. This will help eliminate the toxins from the body and purify your blood. It works the best when consumed the first thing in the morning.
- Wash the face with plain water immediately if you develop intense redness or irritation of the skin after the local application of garlic juice.
- Do not eat too many garlic cloves especially if you suffer from gastric disturbances.
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) offers an excellent home remedy for quick healing of pimples. It acts as a gentle exfoliator for the skin and helps remove the dead skin cells accumulated on the surface. The skin regenerates new cells daily, which can take the place of the dead cells. Later, the dead skin cells are shed off. However, sometimes, the dead skin cells accumulate on the skin surface making the skin appear dull and lusterless. The dead skin cells can get trapped in the sebaceous glands and block the skin pores thus triggering the formation of pimples. Baking soda can help to prevent this by exfoliating the skin and promoting the shedding off the dead cells. It also unplugs the blocked skin pores and thus, minimizes the risk of future breakouts.
Baskin soda also has the ability to regulate the pH levels of the skin, which helps prevent irritation and inflammation. It also produces a mild antiseptic action, which ensures destruction of the organisms causing acne.
How to use
- Take a tablespoonful of baking soda and add to it a few drops of water to make a paste. Then, apply this paste on the affected part and rinse it off after 5 minutes.
- Another effective way to use baking soda for pimples is to prepare a mixture of 2 tablespoonfuls of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder, and 5 tablespoons of honey. Apply it to the face and wash after a few minutes. You can use this remedy once a week.